Parish Administrative Assistant
Posted December 2018
Permanent, part-time, non-rostered position. Expected to be 24-30 hours/week
Salary range $16-$20/hour commensurate with experience
As a non-profit organization operating in the state of Massachusetts, this position is exempt from unemployment taxes and therefore state and federal unemployment benefits may not be available.
Under the supervision of the Pastor, the Parish Administrative Assistant provides general office support to the staff, congregation and committees, to enable the ministries and mission of Trinity Lutheran Church. This work includes, but is not limited to: facilitating church staff and congregational communications, data and records management, simple website updates, supplies and inventory management, managing use of church space by members and outside groups, supporting church ministries and committees as well as collaborating with volunteers. The Parish Administrative Assistant is a resource person for both members and nonmembers as well as a welcoming and responsive presence in our church’s office. Duties include but are not limited to:
- Answer telephone and refer calls or other inquiries to ensure accurate and timely communications. Sort and distribute mail and determine level of priority.
- Manage the membership database, and document storage systems. Produce membership reports.
- Integrate inputs from various stakeholders to prepare paper and electronic parish publications and mailings, including the newsletter, bulletins, correspondence, e-mail, announcements, Annual Report, parish directory, and other communications.
- Provide administrative support to staff, Pastor, council president, treasurer, council members and committees.
- Serve as communications point of contact for members and friends requesting support: prayer requests, hospital visits, access to Pastor.
- Act as point of contact for routine parish inquiries (e.g., weddings, baptisms, funerals).
- Schedule all space usage needs of congregation and outside groups.
- Monitor and order office, janitorial, and regular worship and education supplies and materials.
- Maintain and schedule church calendar.
- Update main page of website. Work with IT committee to keep other content current.
- Oversee sexton activities, setting maintenance schedules and priorities. Work with repair people and contractors to handle office maintenance requests, and monitor equipment functions. Record/report the need for service maintenance or repair of equipment. Work with Property Committee.
- Act as point of contact for matters involving printers, copiers, computer hardware, software, and other technology issues. Work with Information Technology Committee.
- As required, monitor and order needed utilities and service.
General Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations with concern and empathy.
- Proficiency with office administrative tools including word processing, spreadsheets, and database. (Microsoft Office required. Shepherd’s Staff, Church 360/Unite, Constant Contact preferred.)
- Strong editorial, multitasking and organizational skills. Must be detail oriented and able to work with interruptions.
If you possess these skills and feel ready to make a difference with a team of caring, energetic Lutherans – kindly apply to join our team.
Email resume (and cover letter, if available) to HR@Trinity-Chelmsford.org